Live at The Sunnyside

Moderator: Moderators

Live at The Sunnyside

Postby Sunnyside1655 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello all Billy Fury fans,

I would just like to inform all of you Billy Fury fans that we have Johnny Red performing at The Sunnyside Saturday 9th November 2013 8pm til late. We expect it to be a very good night so bring your blue suede shoes :).

I would also like to inform you that The Sunnyside is now under new old management with Karl Newman back as the general manager at The Sunnyside; who was here when the Billy Fury Tribute was first performed here after the reburbishment to a Hungry Horse. We are all very keen to bring back the tribute next year as we are very passionate about this tribute and believe that as Billy Fury's last perfomance venue we should celebrate, relive his talent and let the story continue....

As the old manager Chris has recently left, it is our hope that we are able to come to an agreement and give you all a exceptional memorable night once again.. I have spoken to Harry about issues regarding accomodating the many Billy Fury fans and we are confident that we have more then enough room for this not to be an issue. A marque is available for outside, should you require more space.

Any questions, please get in touch at 1655@greeneking.co.uk

Many thanks, Sunnyside Hungry Horse.
Sunnyside1655

Re: Live at The Sunnyside

Postby Geoff H » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Very interesting!
Geoff H
Double Grand Poster

Postby Jan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes it is - but we had a great time in Wellingborough to be honest. Also Harry isn't doing it anymore so it is up to those who organised this years one at the Hind as to whether they would want to take this offer up.

To be perfectly honest - I don't think there can be any going back once you have moved on - but then again - what do I know :?: :tongue:
"A smile is the window to the soul which shows there is a caring sharing person inside".
Jan
Megaposter

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Not that I will be able to afford to come again - but - I tend to agree with Jan. The Hind Hotel was faultless in every respect. All under one roof, the breakfasts were superb, rooms very comfortable (I even got a smoking room which suited me down to the ground)! Shops a short walk away...need I go on. But then it's not up to me.
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby Jean » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 pm

We had some enjoyable and memorable times at the Sunnyside but, sadly, when it was redesigned to be mainly a restaurant the layout was not conducive to accommodating not only the performers but also those people who wanted to dance. When seated at most of the tables, it was not possible to see the performers.

That is only my opinion but as I said, we did have some great times there before the changes were made.
A best friend is like a four leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have
Jean
Megaposter

Postby cathy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:16 am

I ditto it all ...................... shame really!

Glad you liked the Hind Hotel Moya :razz: (I was a little worried people wouldn't like it)
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:48 am

Moya enjoyed the Hind because as she said - she could do what she wanted without leaving the comfort of the hotel. :tongue: But I think we all enjoyed it for that reason. And an added bonus were the shops were over the road :!: :shock:

It was faultless in every way and the staff bent over backwards to make it pleasureable for us :)

It was also a good size for us all as we didn't want lots of people there - just the real Billy fans. :)

I just hope there is enough interest in holding one there in 2014 :D

John B, Dave Jay and Cathy did a sterling job and everyone who helped is to be thoroughly applauded. :)

The entertainment was great and the artists (all our own with no big names) were absolutely brilliant :)
"A smile is the window to the soul which shows there is a caring sharing person inside".
Jan
Megaposter

Postby Hank2k » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:09 pm

It would be fantastic to perform at the sunnyside where billy last performed. Maybe rather than a whole weekend of it a one of show at sunnyside maybe 6 months different to the remembering sunnyside so it's spaced out enough. Just a thought
Hank2k

Postby Geoff H » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:57 pm

It was great to appear at the Sunnyside but we must remember all the headaches the organization gave Harry. I remember him saying this March how much better he felt than previous years, due to all the stress. The Hind event maybe wasn't as big, but it was certainly a wonderful time, and I hope that we can repeat it. Steve, how about getting in touch with the Sunnyside to see if you can play support to Johnny Red in September?
Geoff H
Double Grand Poster

Postby Deanh2 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Jane and I hope to make the next one but I have to agree with everyone else the layout of Sunnyside is not designed for this kind of event.
People at the back and around the corners had paid just as much for a ticket but couldnt enjoy the show like ones with a better view.
Sounds like the Hind has been made into a good replacement and we hope to be there next time for Spirit of Sunnyside.
Deanh2

Postby cathy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Another problem with having it at Sunnyside is the Hotel ... Harry had to book and pay for all the rooms at the Sunley Conference Centre across the road so we could have the Conservatory on the Friday night!

Steve, I agree with Geoff on contacting Johnny Red! ... xxx
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Oh that would be great if you and Jane can come Dean. :)

We did have a truly wonderful time in a much smaller and more intimate area :wink:

Yes Steve - I would contact Johnny Red and tell him a little bit about yourself and ask if he would like you on board, then at least you will be able to soak in the atmosphere at Sunnyside :)

For most of us to travel there for one day would be impossible. I live in Devon and would not go that distance for a one day event :(

Let us know how you get on :)
Jan
Megaposter

Postby Harry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:46 pm

As I see that my name has come up in the discussions, just for the record.....

I received two telephone calls from Johnny Red to tell me that the management at the Sunnyside were keen for the event to be held there again next year.

I emailed John Burke to pass on this information.

I then received a telephone call from the Sunnyside, and I told the caller that those who had attended after the redesign of the performance area were unhappy with the restricted view of the performers, that a substitute event had been held in Wellingborough this year, and that I was aware of plans for a repeat in 2014.

That is where my involvement ended.

The original event was held at the Sunnyside because that was the site of Billy Fury's last public performance, and I was delighted that for seven years, we were able to unite performers and fans at the venue.
Just direct your feet to the Sunnyside of the street.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.
Harry
Site admin

Postby Roger Sea » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Personally I think the lay-out at the new Hungry Horse Sunnyside is not conducive with the requirements of the audience or performers of a Billy Fury event that we have grown accustomed to. Whilst there is, obviously, a great history connected with Sunnyside, I feel the venue would not be able to provide the facilities needed. The Hind catered very well last year and I hope to see the event hosted by them again next year. I will willingly help with the organisation if so required.
Roger.
Never forget your past, it influences your future!
Roger Sea
Grand Poster

Postby Jan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Roger Sea wrote:Personally I think the lay-out at the new Hungry Horse Sunnyside is not conducive with the requirements of the audience or performers of a Billy Fury event that we have grown accustomed to. Whilst there is, obviously, a great history connected with Sunnyside, I feel the venue would not be able to provide the facilities needed. The Hind catered very well last year and I hope to see the event hosted by them again next year. I will willingly help with the organisation if so required.
Roger.

Aww bless you Roger :) That is what I liked about it this year - everyone pulled together to make it a great success.

I loved it and really want another one to happen :wink: xxx
Jan
Megaposter

Next

Return to Remembering the Sunnyside 2014