Sophisticated spam emails

Computer tips and appeals

Moderator: Moderators

Sophisticated spam emails

Postby stratobuddy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:40 am

I sent an email to Katie with a particular heading, lets say it was Billy Fury (as an example).

I received a reply from her, with the heading Re: Billy Fury.

When I opened it, it was NOT from her, the sender's name had changed, and it was a spam to try to sell me something.

Even more spooky, what they were selling was related to the contents of my email to Katie eg Billy Fury!

Furthermore, after I have read an email, the font normally changes from bold to normal, but this one didn't, so it always looks like an unread email.

I tried to forward it to Katie to see how it arrived there, but forwarding had been disabled for this email.

As Katie is out at the moment, I can't ask her whether she has actually replied to my email yet, in which case her reply had somehow been altered into the spam contents.

I find this worrying, as a similar thing has happend 3 times recently.
Alan in Plymouth, Devon, UK.

It's never too late to learn something new
stratobuddy
Megaposter

Re: Sophisticated spam emails

Postby stratobuddy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:10 pm

I've now spoken to Katie, she HAD replied to my email, so her actual reply had been intercepted by the spammer, read, deleted, and replaced by the spam content trying to sell me something related to what the email was about. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

stratobuddy
Megaposter

Postby Jan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:58 am

Don't forget to do a virus check Alan as it would seem as if a virus is in your computer :mad:

Can you also change your email address :?: Not sure whether this would work though :(

Can Katie also do a virus check :?:

And finally - do please both of you get in touch with your service provider to alert them of this problem not forgetting to copy all the headers and details by clicking on the email - going down to properties and clicking general.

I would be extremely worried if this was me :( But by doing this last thing it should show some light on who the culprit is and where it is coming from.

Good luck :)
"A smile is the window to the soul which shows there is a caring sharing person inside".
Jan
Megaposter

Postby stratobuddy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:10 am

I've just had another one.

It was in my SPAM folder and was obviously a spam, so I deleted it.

I then went into my inbox, where there was an email from a friend.

I opened this, only to find it was the deleted spam email. Instead of the "report this as spam" button at the top, it had a "this is not spam" button, so instead of being deleted, it had jumped to my inbox and overwritten a friend's email.

I then deleted it from my inbox, but it would not delete, it stayed there, and was still BOLD like an unread email.

Also, I have lost the contents of the email my friend sent me.

Here are the contents - - -

YOUR INHERITANCE FUND TRANSFER NOTIFICATIONTuesday, 12 October, 2010 9:20From: "INHERITANCE FUND TRANSFER NOTIFICATION" <craig@test.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: undisclosed-recipientsUN ECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR AFRICA(UNECA)
P.O. Box 3001, ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
TEL: +251 11 551 0365 (direct)
FAX: +251 11 551 7200
Email: unexecutivesec2010@hotmail.com
Our Ref: AFUA /SNT/STB

ATTN: BENEFICIARY

RE: INHERITANCE FUND TRANSFER NOTIFICATION

WE HAVE RECEIVED AN INSTRUCTION FROM THE MINISTRY OF FINANCE OF THE FIFTY FOUR(54) COUNTRIES IN AFRICA AND THIER VARIOUS SENATE COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN PAYMENT(SCFP), TO PAY YOU YOUR CONTRACT/INHERITANCE FUND.

YOUR CONTRACT/INHERITANCE TOTALLING TEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS (US$10,500,000.00), INCLUDING THE INTEREST RATE UPTILL DATE HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED FOR
IMMEDIATE TRANSFER THROUGH A CREDIBLE BANK OVERSEASE AND ALL MODALITIES FOR THE TRANSFER TO YOU BEING THE LEGITIMATE BENEFICIARY OF THE FUND HAVE BEEN FINALIZED.

MEANWHILE, WE WANT YOU TO CLARIFY US IF YOU INDEED APPROVE A WOMAN BY THE NAME KAY HANN TO CLAIM THE FUND ON YOUR BEHALF. THE SAID MRS. KAY HANN IS CLAIMING TO THIS OFFICE THAT SHE IS YOUR REPRESENTATIVE INSTRUCTED BY YOU TO RECEIVE THE FUND ON YOURBEHALF. NOTE THAT SHE ACTUALLY TENDERED SOME VITAL DOCUMENT, WHICH SERVES AS PROOVE FOR THE COLLECTION OF THESE FUNDS.

BELOW IS THE LIST OF THE DOUCMENTS WHICH SHE TENDERED:

1. LETTER OF ADMINISTRATION.
2. HIGH COURT INJUNCTION.
3. ORDER TO RELEASE.

DUE TO THE NATURE OF MY JOB, I CANNOT AFFORD TO MAKE MISTAKES IN RELEASING THESE FUNDS TO ANYONE WHO CAN NOT TENDER AN SIGNED NOTE OF AUTHORIZATION FROM YOU THE RECOGNIZED TRUE BENEFICIARY TO THESE FUNDS. NOTE THAT I ASKED HER TO COME BACK NEXT WEEK SO I CAN VERIFY THIS FACT FROM YOU FIRST BEFORE I PROCEED WITH THIS GUESTURE.

KINDLY CLARIFY US ON THIS ISSUE BEFORE WE MAKE THE PAYMENT TO MRS. KAY HANN.

HOWEVER, NOTE THAT WE AWAIT YOUR EMAIL SHORTLY WHICH WILL INCLUDE ALL THE INFORMATIONS INDICATED BELLOW TO ENABLE THE CREDITING BANK EFFECT YOUR TRANSFER.

WE HAVE MADE CONCRETE ARRANGEMENT JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR VALUABLE (US$10,500,000.00) TEN MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS IS SUCCESSFULY RELEASED TO YOU.

THE REQUIRED INFORMATION IS AS STATED BELOW:

1. YOUR NAME:
2. YOUR ADDRESS:
3. YOUR TELEPHONE:
4. FAX:
5. AGE:
6. SEX:
7. YOUR OCCUPATION:

LASTLY, BE INFORMED THAT THIS REPUTABLE OFFICE IN CONJUCTION WITH THE WORLD BANK HAVE BEEN APPROVED AND EMPOWERED BY A MEMORANDUM SIGNED BY THE 54 PRESIDENT's IN AFRICA.

WE ARE SOLELY AUTHORIZED AND ACCREDITED TO HANDLE ALL DELAYED CONTRACTOR/INHERITANCE FUNDS AT THIS LAST QUARTER OF THE YEAR 2010/2011 PAYMENT SCHEDULE.

WE ARE WAITNG TO HERE FROM YOU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

BEST REGARDS,
MRS. ASHA MIGIRO
EXECUTIVE SECRETARY

stratobuddy
Megaposter

Postby Katie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: You going to Africa then?
Forgiveness is a funny thing; it warms the heart, and cools the sting.
Katie
Megaposter

Postby stratobuddy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:01 pm

This could be a new trivia quiz - - spot the spelling and grammar errors in the letter :???:

stratobuddy
Megaposter

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:10 pm

Gosh, very worrying :shock: ... xxx
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Postby stratobuddy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:46 pm

My friend HAS confirmed that she sent me a genuine email, and whatever she wrote was replaced by the spam contents :(

stratobuddy
Megaposter

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:09 am

Buga! Sorry Alan - I'm useless....as you can tell... I'm having probs too & don't know how to sort it :roll: :(
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby Jean » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:35 am

Gosh - that's really worrying about how they can change the content of emails. :shock:

xxx
A best friend is like a four leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have
Jean
Megaposter

Return to Keyboard capers