Phil Spector feature

Your verdict

Moderator: Andy B

Phil Spector feature

Postby cathy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:32 am

Is the SS on the front page 'NEW' cos I've only just noticed It even though I come to the MB that way, I think I missed It because It Is a little lower than usual and my screen so not obvious .... anyway GREAT selection of Songs :razz: :razz: ... xxx
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Re: Sounds Special and the future

Postby Harry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:36 am

cathy wrote:Is the SS on the front page 'NEW' cos I've only just noticed It even though I come to the MB that way, I think I missed It because It Is a little lower than usual and my screen so not obvious .... anyway GREAT selection of Songs :razz: :razz: ... xxx

Yes, the Phil Spector feature was added yesterday, Cathy. My own contribution to get fresh music input retstarted. It'll be there for a few weeks, until something else comes up/is suggested/offered.

The Dion track is one of my favourites.

Do you think any Fury tracks have a hint of Spector to them? I've thought in the past that Be Mine Tonight has some of that whoomph.
Just direct your feet to the Sunnyside of the street.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.
Harry
Site admin

Postby Babs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:41 pm

There's quite a long instrumental at the beginning of Dion's song, at first I thought there was a mistake as I hadn't heard that one before, and wondered when he was going to come in with the lyric. I have Runaround Sue as my message alert on my mobile, I like Dion, not sure about "Born To Be With You" tho, will have to listen a few times and let it grow on me.
Babs
Megaposter

Postby Harry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Yes, thanks for that Babs.

It's a fact - the Stones' Not Fade Away would be over and done with before the meaningful lyrics started in Dion's Born To Be With You. But you certainly get your money's worth from it at 6 minutes 40 seconds!

The interesting thing (I think) is that Dion and Phil Spector put that track together at a point when everyone thought that both of their careers were effectively over.

There's just so much suppressed energy in that song. It's almost as if the power that is such a feature of Phil Spector's work is being held down so hard that it's oozing out through the seams.

And it definitely grows on you.
Harry
Site admin

Postby Harry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:21 pm

SORRY - just realised that I missed off one of the star entries, the Cher and Harry Nilsson track, painstakingly ripped from LP. It's there now.
Harry
Site admin

Re: Phil Spector feature

Postby irene » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Really enjoyed the phil spector songs boy it takes you back.
irene

Return to Sounds Special