Evesham Charity Night.

The Fury forum

Moderator: Moderators

Evesham Charity Night.

Postby Babs » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Had a great time everyone. Packed to the hilt as usual.
Lovely to see everyone again.
Well done Pat another fantastic event.
Babs
Megaposter

Re: Evesham Charity Night.

Postby Harry » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:47 pm

It was brilliant - I'll put a quick report on the site soon.

In the meantime, I thought I'd pass on these remarks left by Robert Warren when he registered for the billyfury.com mailing list today.

My wife Jan and I enjoyed a great saturday night, 16th oct at everham working mans club. Thanks to everybody who organised/ contributed to the event. I traveled up from Bristol friday for the informal at the Railway pub. And again for the saturday show, Jan had seen shakin stevens on tour before we married! she thought Lee and Red Alert were fantastic! Rob Dee as Billy was again very good and dressed to impress. We look forward to returning next year and attending the sunnyside 2011.
Just direct your feet to the Sunnyside of the street.
Just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're NOT all out to get me.
Harry
Site admin

Postby kevin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 am

Well done to Pat & Rob once again.
Kevin
kevin
Grand Poster

Postby pat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:42 pm

WELL THATS IT ALL OVER AGAIN AND I THINK IT ALL WENT WELL IM SO SHATTERD SO I WONT SAY MUCH ONLY TO THANK EVERYONE THAT CAME AND SURPORTED IT, I DO HAVE TO SAY I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT ROB DEE HAD BEEN VERY ILL FOR THE PAST 3 WEEKS AND WAS ONLY JUST GETTING OVER IT SO WELL DONE TO YOU ROB WE RAISED £1235 I GAVE £100 TO THE BILLY FURY FAN CLUB FOR THE UP KEEP OF BILLYS GRAVE AND THAT WILL GIVE US A TATAL OF £568 FOR ALDER HEY CHILDRENS, HOSPIPAL, AND £568 TO OUR LOCAL AIR AMBULANCE. AND AS WE ALL NO TIMES ARE HARD FOR ALL AT THE MOMENT . SO I THINK WE DONE O K THE CHEQUES WELL BE IN THE POST THIS WEEK THANK YOU.
pat

Postby Katie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Congratulations to all involved, and a great big pat on the back to you Pat. Very well done indeed. Sorry we weren't there - it sounds as if you all had a wonderful time. Hope Rob Dee didn't overdo it - we can't be doing with you out of the loop Rob!
Forgiveness is a funny thing; it warms the heart, and cools the sting.
Katie
Megaposter

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:06 am

SO glad all went well for you Pat. Well Dun! You go girl. X
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby Vic » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:56 am

So glad everything went okay. I'm just sorry I couldn't be there due to family matters. Thankfully my mother has improved but still in hospital.
Vic

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:16 am

Well my weekend at Evesham - what a blast and a laugh that was. :lol: :lol:

My blooming coach was an hour late on getting in on Friday evening. I was getting stressed out as we had arranged to go to dinner at 6:30pm before the jam session. I didn't get in until 7pm and should have been in at 6pm! We got caught up in the race meeting traffic through Cheltenham! Grrr. Plus there were a couple of accidents on the M5 shortly after leaving Exeter. :mad:

Still there wasn't much I could do about it. :(

Because the coach was in late - and there was no bus station - only a National Express coach stop - there were no taxi's around. I had no idea where the Premier Inn was either. So I just carried on walking and asked passers by if there were any such things as taxi's in Evesham! :D

Eventually I found one, and he turned out to be a chatty bloke who accompanied me into the hotel carrying my suitcase....I had thought he didn't want paying and preferred his payment in kind - but fortunately for me - he was only going to use their loo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

After quickly having a lick and a promise - I managed to catch the others who were still in the restaurant eating. There was Jean and Cathy, Johnny and Diane and Henry. :) It was great to catch up with them all again. :)

After a quick change we met downstairs and Cathy with Jean and I in her car - followed the others down to the pub called The Station. Quite a few people in there and an impromtu jam session which ended up a bit like a Karoke! :lol:

Some friendly locals and a lot of dancing too. :wink:

Suddenly I hear my name being called over the loudspeaker, asking where I was and to go and see Rob who had something for me. So of course me being me thought it was a belated birthday present! :lol: :lol:

As I walked up to the stage - Rob started the intro of The Boots Are Made For Walking! :shock:
So I had to belt it out without seeing the words. :???: I think I blundered my way through it. :shock: At the end - Rob lay on the stage waiting for me to walk up and down his body in my stiletto heels. :shock: Unfortunately I only had my sketcher trainers on but have promised myself that I will take him up on that offer at the next gig I go to and will also take my whip with me! :lol: :lol: :lol: See if he likes that! :D I expect he will be a man :!: :shock: :D

We didn't get back to the hotel until about 2am! I thought I would be really tired but because I was so hyperactive, I couldn't get off to sleep until about 4am! :tongue:

Next morning - Saturday - we met up in the hotel for breakfast, and stayed chatting until we got thrown out! The staff wanted to clean the restaurant. :D

It was decided we would go and take a look around Evesham. Again we followed John's car and were foiled by the flipping traffic lights so we lost them. We carried on and went down a long road that had a big P for parking sign and realised we were going away from the town! We went down a track because Cathy wanted to turn around, but further down two stewards were waving at us so we thought we ought to go down there. :)

When we got there - they pointed to some cars in the field and asked whether we were entering the rowing competition! :lol: But Cathy told them we were lost and looking for another car park nearer to the town centre. After much scratching of their heads - they pointed us back to the way we had come. I couldn't resist winding my window down and asking them whether they had any big Coxs in there! I don't think they believed that the three of us could be as uncouth as that and probably thought they had misheard, although Jean was saying there were three oars in our car! What on earth did she mean I wonder? :shock: :wink: :lol:

We found the car park this time and realised if we had gone right instead of left - we would have found it eventually. Anyway off we went to have a coffee and a look around the shops. I did buy a calendar for next year but that was about all. Although I did see a rather nice besom broom which only cost 50p and like the girls said - I could use it to fly there next year :shock: :wink:

We eventually met up with Diane, Johnny and Henry, but I think the chaps got rather bored with us girlies looking around the shops - so we parted company again which left Jean, Cathy and I wandering around the market and listening to a young girl shouting out :director: two puddles of strawberries for a pund nooowwww :lol: (or at least that is what it sounded like :shock: ) I said that she would have been better off making a tape recording of it and just leaving it on all the time :lol:

We were told that P J Proby lived in a big house nearby - set back off the road and with an apple orchard. Now this was supposed to be fairly near to where we staying at the Premier Inn. We talked about it and decided we would go and see him and perhaps make his day :tongue:

Well I did and the other two just sort of joined in. I used to see a lot of him in the 60's when he rented a house out at Wembley Park. One day I was attending a party of his when the next morning the tax man came to personally hand him a notice of some sorts. P J got into his car and started driving off down the road, and the tax man was running after him trying to jump on the running board of the car trying to shove this piece of paper at him :!: :shock: Shows you how long ago it was if you can remember the old running boards on the cars :!: He also had a beagle dog called Biscuit. P J did - not the tax man :lol:

We hadn't fully decided whether to go or not and we had passed the place before we realised it. :( Jean was really apprehensive but Cathy and I were up for it. :) So we went back and drove round the roundabout again (it is off the roundabout) and drove into the driveway but there was a big gate across it. We got out of the car and were quite disappointed with the look of the property as it didn't look that large at all. :( We opened the gate which was difficult and then tentatively walked up the driveway. We could see some large garden statues but everywhere looked overgrown and uninhabited. Jean was still apprehensive as she wasn't sure about invading his privacy remembering the good old days when she used to go around Billy's house all the time, picking through the dustbins and getting potato peelings! However we are not those 18 year old girls any more and the worst he could do was to come out and tell us to Pxxx off :!: :D

We were becoming increasingly aware that nobody was in - and Cathy and I thought that nobody lived there. We peeped in around the back and found lots of disturbing notices saying that trespassers would be maimed, shot and killed :!: It sounded like his sense of humour. :wink: Round the front door it looked as if nobody had used the pathway through to it because it was overgrown with weeds. However we saw a sign saying Los Probus, and a wreck of a car with the registration of PJ. It was clear that if anyone lived there, then they weren't at home and it was definitely P J :D

I had just thought to myself - 'What if... what if someone pulled into the driveway at the bottom to find Cathy's car blocking it :?: ' And as we were walking back to her car - Jean went - LOOK and when we looked a car had pulled in behind Cathy's. :shock: We froze on the spot, all our bravery had gone :!: :lol: :lol: I felt like Heather in EastEnders when she went looking for George Michael's house. And do you know what :?: - I was back to being 18 again and feeling like a naughty groupie. :lol:

When we got up to the car a man got out and came towards us. His wife was in the car and he was very happy to stay and talk to us. It turns out that they own the property and that P J rents it from him. We only discovered this when Cathy said to him how dilapidated the house looked and then we all felt foolish when they said they owned it. I expect they thought we were rude :( They said that they thought P J was touring as his tour bus wasn't there. Apparently two friends of P J's come over from Holland to drive it for him when he is doing his gigs. They also said that sometimes he is very happy to stay and talk, and on other occasions he doesn't get up until about 3pm and is a bit of a recluse. :(

I was kind of pleased that he wasn't there because I have some photo's at home here taken in the house he rented at Wembley. I thought if I go to the venue next year - I will take them with me and show them to him if he is at home :)

I remember meeting P J at the Liverpool Empire in about 1964. I lived in London and decided on the spur of the moment to go and see him. I decided to go to Heathrow and fly to Speke as it was called in those days. Unfortunately I was really sick on the plane and it was only a small plane anyway from what I can remember. But I had bought him something and one of his 'bodyguards' took pity on me and decided to let me in to meet P J. All I remember about him is his piercing blue eyes and that lovely Texan drawl. He looked at me and said, 'Thank you very much pretty lady!' I went weak at the knees :D

After that having learnt that I had come up from London - he gave me his address and I used to go there with a friend of mine called Yvette who ended up having an affair with P J's hairdresser. On one occasion - Viv Prince of the Pretty Things was there and someone called Prince Stanislaus Klowoski.

Well after all that excitement we went back to the hotel to get ready for the evening. The event started at 7:30pm but were told to get there at 6:45pm so that we would get a seat. :)

We took the taxi that brought me there on the Friday evening and the taxi driver was quite happy talking about his days as a Rocker! He told me to phone him when the charity event finished and he would bring us back again. :)

When we got in there were quite a lot of people there that already had claimed their seats. But soon the evening started and we were treated to some Shaking Steven's numbers by a chap whose name I have already forgotten :???: He was good though and had the movements off to a T.

Rob Dee who always does this charity event did a wonderful tribute to Billy Fury and then at the end - he came on as Elvis. :shock: People were in costume of the 50's! Drape Jackets, Suede Shoes, DA Hairstyles, whilst the women wore the circular skirts and the full stiffened petticoats underneath. :)

I did a dance of a fashion as I can't jive because I was in care at the critical time in my life when I should have been enjoying myself as a teenager, so had never learnt to jive/rock 'n' roll. :(

I also had to take it a little bit easy because of the strokes that I have every so often. They aren't too bad but I am aware that I am having them - so have to sit down when I get a bit tired of jigging around :)

The surprise of the night to us was the appearance of Harry and Maureen. It was wonderful to see them both xxx :)

During one of Rob's songs - he came around the room giving roses out to ladies. I think we all love this special time - I know I do. Makes me go weak at the knees. He came around to where we were and gave a couple of roses to people nearby, then wandered up to the back of the room and gave out a couple more roses, and then to the opposite side of the room. The next minute I saw he had one left and he was wandering over to our side of the room. I thought he was going to someone on my right hand side but the next minute he fell to his knees and presented it to me. I was blooming well thrilled. It could have been Billy or Elvis presenting it to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: Again I am back in the good old days of the sixties :)

I didn't win anything on the raffle - but did the previous night. I won a massive kitchen clock which I gave to Cathy for her daughter in law. I don't think I could have got it in my suitcase. :shock:

They held the raffle and then did an auction. :)
Didn't want it to end but at midnight it did! It took us another half an hour saying our goodnights and goodbyes. Then back to the hotel where I had a relatively early night at 1:30am after I had been on the internet doing my farm on Facebook :tongue:

Next morning after brekky - I had to catch the 10:35am coach back to Exeter. The others were all meeting up for lunch and if we had planned all this earlier then I would have gone up a day earlier and left a day later. But all that will be for the next time.

Cathy and Jean saw me off at the coach stop. The driver looked like Nanny McPhee! When he got off the coach to put my suitcase in the boot, he smiled at me and all I saw was one tooth poking out of his mouth. I turned to look at Cathy and Jean and wondered whether they had spotted the resemblance too. So I made him talk by telling him I was going to Exeter and he said he wasn't going that far. Then I think the girls had spotted it.

However - when I got off at Exeter some 5 hours later - he was still driving the coach. I reminded him that he said he wasn't going to Exeter and he said he had changed his mind! What a strange fellow. All he needed was a big wart on his chin sprouting hairs! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that is the end of that. But believe me - for a short while - I was back in the late 50's early 60's - it was wonderful. Now I am looking to go to learn how to jive and then I will be getting a circular skirt with the full petticoat to go underneath. :)
"A smile is the window to the soul which shows there is a caring sharing person inside".
Jan
Megaposter

Postby Jan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:44 am

Well done Pat for organising such a fabulous event :) #

I am sure we all appreciate the hard work that goes into making a success of these events and what a wonderful sum of money you raised for charity :)

Love you and it was pleasure meeting some of your family too :)

I was sorry to learn you hadn't been well Rob - although I must say that you didn't show any signs of it in your performance :)

It is always great to meet up with you and Chris too xx

Jenno - thank you so much for my birthday drink and it was nice to meet up with you and Mrs Jenno again :) xx

Lovely to catch up with you again Babs although to be perfectly honest - you can't talk over all the singing can you :?:

Great surprise to see you Harry and Maureen :shock: But lovely :)

If I have missed anyone out to say hello to- then I apologise :(

After a couple of late nights - I have come home for a well earned rest :lol: :lol: :lol:

I fell asleep on the coach listening to Harry Potter and my head jerked forward and woke me up :lol: I was so tired :(
"A smile is the window to the soul which shows there is a caring sharing person inside".
Jan
Megaposter

Postby Jean » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Flippin' 'eck Jan - I wish I'd been at the pub you were at!! I went to the Railway pub but had a brilliant time there. :wink: :wink:

xxx

PS I didn't rifle through any dustbins. :shock:
A best friend is like a four leaf clover, hard to find and lucky to have
Jean
Megaposter

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Jan wrote:when Cathy said to him how dilapidated the house looked and then we all felt foolish when they said they owned it.

NOT guilty Jan, it was the other one, I sat in the car waitng for you two stop gossiping :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GREAT report Jan and a FABulous weekend, I know we ALL enjoyed it :razz:

I haven't laughed so much for ages, It's good medicine :razz:

WELL DONE Pat for yet another fabulous weekend (hooray)

Jean and I had an extra day together, we went to London yesterday we had a lovely meal and another go on the London Eye :razz: ... xxx
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Postby cathy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:57 pm

Jean wrote: I went to the Railway pub but had a brilliant time there. :wink: :wink:

xxx

That's where someone pinched our shoes Jean and I had to borrow that man's size 12 to go out for a ciggy :lol: :lol: :lol: ... xxx
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
cathy
Decamegaposter

Postby Moya. T.B.F.F.C. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm

FANtastic report Jan. I had a good laff reading that. I REALLY wish I'd been there with you. M x
Rock On Like Fury!
Moya. T.B.F.F.C.
Decamegaposter

Postby Jean » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Well done Pat - another very successful night. :lol:

xxx
Jean
Megaposter

Postby Jean » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:05 pm

cathy wrote:
Jean wrote: I went to the Railway pub but had a brilliant time there. :wink: :wink:

xxx

That's where someone pinched our shoes Jean and I had to borrow that man's size 12 to go out for a ciggy :lol: :lol: :lol: ... xxx

Yeah - Jan wouldn't have known about that - her having been at a different pub - or was she really at the station under the clock? :lol:

xxx
Jean
Megaposter

Next

Return to The story continues